Providing You The Facts Concerning Bankruptcy
Filing for bankruptcy can be a scary step and it may not magically solve all your financial troubles. But too many people suffer needlessly or wait too long to seek debt relief because of unfounded fears and myths about bankruptcy.
Simon, Fitzgerald, Cooke, Reed and Welch, is Louisiana’s oldest bankruptcy law firm. Our experienced attorneys practice solely in this field, and three of them are board-certified as consumer bankruptcy specialists. We will give you straight answers and carefully prepare your filing to put you in the best financial position.
Answering Your Questions During A Free Consultation
Shreveport • Alexandria • Lafayette
Common Bankruptcy Myths
- Congress took away bankruptcy. Congress changed the Bankruptcy Code in 2005 to fight fraud. For honest debtors, Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 are still available. In fact, more than 1 million bankruptcies were filed in 2009. There are well over 20,000 active Chapter 13 cases in Louisiana today.
- I will lose everything. Most people are able to keep their home, vehicles, retirement savings and personal possessions. (See our Bankruptcy Exemptions page.) Even nonexempt property can usually be retained in a Chapter 13.
- My credit score will be ruined. Your credit score is probably poor right now. Bankruptcy is an opportunity to start fresh and build good credit in a few short years.
- Everyone will know. Bankruptcy records are public, but not generally published in newspapers. It’s unlikely anyone will find out. Even if they do, there’s no shame in it. A Chapter 13 can allow you to pay what you can afford.
- Bankruptcy is a failure. Many famous Americans and millions of fellow citizens have filed bankruptcy and gone on to lead happy lives and achieve great things. Bankruptcy was intentionally created to give good people a second chance. Bankruptcy is provided for in the United States Constitution. Bankruptcy has been part of our country from the very beginning.
Speak To A Bankruptcy Lawyer Concerning Your Circumstances
Don’t let myths about bankruptcy or creditors’ threats prevent you from doing what’s best for you and your family. Get the facts from a law firm that has practiced in bankruptcy for over 50 years. Arrange your free consultation with one of our experienced bankruptcy attorneys.