Current Client Information
Welcome to the Current Client Information Page of Simon Fitzgerald LLC, Louisiana’s oldest and most experienced bankruptcy law firm. We know dealing with financial issues can be challenging, and figuring out Bankruptcy can seem complicated. That’s why we made this page. It’s like a guidebook to help you understand what’s going on every step of the way. From starting your bankruptcy case to making payments, dealing with taxes, borrowing money, handling changes during your case, and what happens after it is done – we’ve got all of it. We’ve answered common questions clearly, so you can feel more confident about what’s happening. Remember, the information here is general, so it might not fit your situation. If you need advice that’s specific to you, don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly. We’re not just here to provide legal services but to guide you through this process, ensuring you understand what’s happening and feel good about the path ahead. Let’s take this journey together, one step at a time, towards a fresh start with your finances.
Starting Your Case
- What happens after I file for Bankruptcy?
- What should I do, and who should I contact if I have questions about my case?
- After I have filed my case, if I need another appointment, what information do I need to bring with me or provide?
- What should I do if I move and change my address or get a new phone number while I am in my case?
- What do I do if I forget to include a creditor? Can I include new debts in my bankruptcy case?
- Can I take a creditor off my case?
- What do I do if a creditor continues to harass me, garnishes my income, or seizes an asset after I file my case?
Managing Your Payments
- How can I view and check my Chapter 13 payment history?
- What is the difference between being paid weekly, bi-weekly, and semi-monthly, and how are the Chapter 13 plan payment payroll deductions calculated?
- What is the process for my employer to start the payroll deductions from my pay?
- What happens if my employer does not deduct enough from my wages to make monthly Chapter 13 plan payments?
- How can I make Chapter 13 payments by mail?
- How can I make Chapter 13 payments online?
- What are the specific payment instructions for the Chapter 13 Trustees in Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Lafayette, and Lake Charles?
- What happens if I miss a Chapter 13 payment or fall behind on my Chapter 13 payments? What should I do?
- Can I amend my Chapter 13 payment plan?
- Can I change my Chapter 13 plan?
- How many payments do I have left in my Chapter 13 bankruptcy case?
- How long do I have left in my Chapter 13 bankruptcy case?
- Can I pay off my Chapter 13 case early?
- When will the payroll deductions from my wages stop in my Chapter 13 case?
Tax Return and Refund Questions
- What is the difference between a Tax return and a Tax Refund?
- How does Bankruptcy affect my tax returns and tax refunds? Do I have specific obligations or rules to follow with my tax returns and tax refunds while in Bankruptcy?
- When and how do I give my tax return to the office while I am in my case?
- How much of my tax refund do I get to keep?
- If I’m required to turn over any portion of my tax refund in Chapter 13, does that allow my case to pay off sooner or end early?
- What do I need to do if I want to request a larger part of tax refunds than that must be given to the Chapter 13 Trustee?
Borrowing Money and Incurring New Debt
- Can I buy a car for cash while in Chapter 13 without permission from the Court?
- Can I finance a car purchase while in Chapter 13? If so, what’s required?
- What do I need to do if I need to borrow money for a replacement vehicle while I am in Court? (Application to Incur Debt for Vehicles)
- Can I buy or refinance my home during my Chapter 13 case?
- Can I get a student loan while I’m in Chapter 13?
- What do I need to do if I need to borrow money for something other than a vehicle while I am in my case (Student Loans, Home Loans, Other Loans)?
Dealing with Changes During Your Case
- What should I do if I change my financial circumstances while in my case?
- What if I lose my job during my Chapter 13 case?
- If my income decreases, can I lower my Chapter 13 payment?
- What do I do if I get a significant raise, get a new position, get a new job, or change employers while I am in my case?
- Am I required to report my income increases during my Chapter 13 or Chapter 7 case?
- What happens if I get married during my Chapter 13 case?
- What happens if my spouse dies during my Chapter 13 case?
- What do I do if involved in a personal injury case while in Bankruptcy?
- What do I do if I buy a new asset while I am in my Chapter 13 case?
- What happens if I inherit property or Money while in Chapter 13?
- What do I do if my vehicle is involved in an accident and the vehicle is declared a total loss while I am in a Chapter 13 case?
- What do I do if I want to sell my home or other property while I am in Bankruptcy?
- Can I change my mind about keeping and surrendering a vehicle after filing my case?
- What happens, and what do I need to do if a motion to dismiss is filed in my Chapter 13 case? (Failure to Pay, Failure to Provide Tax Returns, Failure to Provide Tax Refunds)
- Can I reinstate my case or re-file another case if it is dismissed?
- What happens, and what do I need to do if a motion to lift the automatic stay is filed in my case?
- Can I convert my Chapter 13 case to a Chapter 7 case?
- Can I dismiss my Chapter 13 case?